Recently tried whole wheat pizza from scratch. Thought of sharing it with you all. Below recipe has pizza sauce, crust and how it’s arranged.
Quantity: 2 medium pizzas Preparation time: 2 hours Cooking time: 30 minutes
400gms whole wheat flour
Salt to taste
Pinch of mixed Italian herb
1tsp Instant yeast
1tbsp Olive oil
1 cup Luke warm water
4 finely chopped garlic cloves
1 medium finely chopped onion
7 whole tomatoes
Salt to taste
Chilly powder/flakes to taste
1 tsp grounded pepper
1 tsp mixed Italian herb
2 tbsp Olive oil
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Few cottage cheese/paneer slices
Few chopped olives
Pinch of salt, pepper, mixed Italian herbs
2 tsp Olive oil
Marinate the topping:
- Chop cottage cheese/paneer and olives into your desired sizes
- Add 1tsp of olive oil, pinch of salt, pepper, mixed italian herbs to the chopped paneer and olives. Mix well.
- Transfer it to freezer safe container an store in freezer until its required. This will help the topping to get marinated with herbs, salt and pepper and it will add extra taste to the topping
- Wash tomatoes, transfer to heavy bottom pan with necessary water. Bring to boil until tomatoes skin starts to peel off. Ensure to add water if necessary in between.
- Let the tomatoes cool down, then peel the skin and grind them until smooth. At this stage, you can filter the tomato puree to remove seeds or any pieces if you don’t like.
- Finely chop garlic and onion. In a heavy bottom pan, add olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add chopped garlic and onion, saute for few minutes. Once its cooked, add mixed italian herbs and saute for few seconds
- Add Tomato puree, bring it to boil and add salt, pepper, chilly flakes or powder
- Cook it for 30 minutes in medium low, stir occasionally
- Let the sauce cool. Above quantity yields around 750ml of sauce, which can be stored in refrigerator too for a week
- Mix Luke warm water, yeast, sugar leave it to froth for 5 minutes
- Meanwhile add salt, mixed Italian herbs, flour and mix well
- Once yeast mixture starts to froth, add olive oil and mix well, leave it for a minute
- Add liquid mixture to flour mixture and mix it well
- Once the dough starts to form as a roll, transfer it to kitchen platform.
- Dust some flour, and start kneading the dough
- Follow this pattern while you knead,
- Roll the dough with flour,
- and stretch with your fist
- Keep kneading the dough until it doesn’t stick to your palm or stick very less
- Apply some oil over the dough in all sides, cover it with kitchen towel and let t rest for 30-45 hour in warm dark place
- Once the dough doubles in size, punch and knead for few minutes
- Divide the dough into 2 equal halves, apply some oil an allow it to rest for 15-20 minutes. Dough will raise again.
- Preheat the oven for 10 minutes at 175 degrees
- Punch the raised dough, and start spreading it out using hand or rolling pin.
- Base’s thickness totally depends on you, in this recipe I have made thin crust. Bear with the shape i have made ;), anyways shape doesn’t matter when it tasted absolutely fantastic
- Dust your baking tray with flour and transfer the stretched dough
- Once you have stretched the dough, apply some olive oil all over the base
- Spread out sauce that we have prepared as desired. More sauce you add, more juicy it will be once cooked. Make sure you spread the sauce till the end, as even the edges will have some flavour rather being left out and blunt 🙂
- Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on the sauce
- Add the grated mozzarella cheese as much as you want 😛 and arrange the marinated topping
- Sprinkle some cheese over the topping (its optional)
- Sprinkle some chilly flakes and mixed Italian herbs (its optional)
- Transfer to your oven, bake for 18-20 minutes (as its thin crust)
- You can avoid chilly lakes/powder if you don’t want
- You can add diced capsicum (green/red/yellow), mushrooms, onions, baby corn, jalapeno etc.,
- If you don’t have warm dark place or dough isn’t raising as expected, heat the microwave for 15 seconds, place the covered dough and close the microwave’s door. Let it sit there until the dough doubles in size
- If you don’t want to use the entire dough, after its raised 2nd time, punch the dough, apply some oil and store it in plastic/zip lock bag. If you using any container, make sure to leave some space for the dough to raise inside the container. Store in the refrigerator. It can be stored up to 1 week. Bring the dough to room temperature or heat it in microwave for 20-30 seconds, knead couple of times before arranging.
- If you are making your pizza base thick, then baking time may vary up to 20-25 minutes or the crust’s edges become golden brown
- If you oven has multiple slots, always bake in the middle slot of your oven as the heat will be evenly distributed