Quantity: serves 3 Preparation Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 30 minutes
1 cup of Brown beans (Karamani/ Brown chori)
1 Medium sized onion
1 Medium sized tomato
2-3 green chillies
6-8 garlic cloves
small piece of ginger
1 tsp Garam masala
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
Salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp jeera
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 small piece of cinnamon stick
2 cardamom pods
- Soak the beans overnight in drinking water
- Chop ginger, garlic, onion, tomato finely and slit the green chillies
- Heat the pressure cooker, add oil. Once its hot add jeera, fennel seeds, cardamom, cloes and cinnamon sticks.
- Once they start to splutter, add green chillies, garlic, ginger and onion. Saute until they are cooked. Later add chopped tomato and saute till they are mashed well.
- Then add garam masala, turmeric powder, salt and water (add 3-3.5 cups of water). Bring to boil.
- Add the soaked beans and close the lid of the cooker.
- Allow at least 6-7 whistles and turn off the stove. Wait until the pressure is released.
- Garnish it with chopped coriander leaves and have it with roti/rice.
- If the beans are not soft enough, ad some more water and allow another 4-5 whistles
- You can curry powder/chilly powder to spice it up little more