When I was working in Chennai, in our campus’s food court thee used to be a stall named “Gangotri”. During breaks when we go there, once I tried their Carrot Halwa and fell in love with it instantly. That’s the first time I had it. Since then wanted to try it at home 🙂 At last I did recently 🙂
Quantity: serves 2 Preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 1 hour (approx)
2 cups of grated carrot
4 cups of full fat milk
2 tbsp of ghee
2 cardamon pods
1/4th cup of condensed milk/sugar
Chopped cashew nuts/pistas/almonds
- Grate the carrots
- In a kadai, add ghee once its melted add the grated carrots for a minute or two until the color of the carrots change
- Then add the whole milk, bring it to boil and keep the flame in medium. (Leave the ladle in the kadai itself, it will prevent milk from raising beyond a point)
- Keep stirring and scraping the sides every 10-15 minutes once
- Once the milk is reduced to 75-80% add milkmaid/sugar and split cardamon pods, stir well. Let it cook in low flame.
- After all milk is evaporated, if needed add tbsp of ghee else mix it well and transfer it to a bowl and garnish it with chopped nuts.
- It can served warm or refrigerate it to serve it cold.